Women’s Tennis Defeated at Assumption, 9-0, to Conclude Season
McCarthy wins set at first singles
McCarthy picked up the only set win of the day for the Ravens at Assumption on Friday.
WORCESTER, Mass. (April 13, 2012) – The Franklin Pierce University women's tennis team was defeated on the road on Friday afternoon, 9-0, by Assumption in Northeast-10 Conference play.
With the loss, Franklin Pierce wraps up its season at 3-11 (3-10 Northeast-10), while Assumption improves to 8-12 (5-7 Northeast-10).
Sophomore Natasha McCarthy (Rindge, N.H.) had among the strongest showings for Franklin Pierce on the day, and was the only Raven to pick up a set victory. After dropping the first set to Assumption freshman Chrissy Lyons, 6-2, McCarthy battled back with a 6-4 win in the second set. However, Lyons would prove too much, as she picked up another 6-2 win in the third set to take the match. Elsewhere, senior Nikki Chalifoux (Lebanon, Conn.) dropped a straight-sets decision to sophomore Paige Gilet at fourth singles, but not without a fight, falling 7-5, 7-6 (7-5).
Four different Assumption players picked up wins in both doubles and singles play on Friday, led by Lyons and junior Erica Micciche. The pair teamed up for an 8-5 win at first singles before picking up wins in the top two singles matches. Micciche breezed to a 6-0, 6-1 win at second singles to go with Lyons' triumph at first singles.
1. Chrissy Lyons/Erica Micciche (ASM) def. Kaitlin Krolikowski/Natasha McCarthy (FPU), 8-5
2. Jennifer Erickson/Meghan Hall (ASM) def. Melissa Cohen/Nikki Chalifoux (FPU), 8-4
3. Paige Gilet/Melanie McCauley (ASM) def. Mariama Bonetti/Leslie Rodgers (FPU), 8-2
1. Lyons (ASM) def. McCarthy (FPU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
2. Micciche (ASM) def. Krolikowski (FPU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Erickson (ASM) def. Cohen (FPU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Gilet (ASM) def. Chalifoux (FPU), 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Marissa Charles (ASM) def. Bonetti (FPU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Abby Blaisdell (ASM) def. Rodgers (FPU), 6-4, 6-3
For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics).