Women’s Tennis Falls at Bentley, 7-2
McCarthy, Rodgers earn singles wins
Rodgers picked up a win at sixth singles on Wednesday at Bentley.
WALTHAM, Mass. (April 11, 2012) – Sophomore Natasha McCarthy (Rindge, N.H.) posted a straight-set win at first singles on Wednesday afternoon, but the Franklin Pierce University women's tennis team was defeated by Bentley, 7-2, in Northeast-10 Conference play at Bentley.
With the loss, Franklin Pierce falls to 3-10 (3-9 Northeast-10), while Bentley improves to 8-10 (8-3 Northeast-10).
After Franklin Pierce fell at all three doubles matches, McCarthy got the Ravens on the board with a point at first singles. She breezed to a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Bentley junior Paulina Sotomayor. Later, with the team match decided, freshman Leslie Rodgers (Westminster, Md.) squared off with freshman Stephania Adondakis in the pro set format at sixth singles. Rodgers earned Franklin Pierce's second point of the day with an 8-5 win.
Three Bentley players won in both doubles and singles action on Wednesday, led by junior Rachael Litton. She sailed to a 6-0, 6-1 win at second singles after teaming with Sotomayor for an 8-4 win at first doubles.
The Ravens return to the court on Friday, April 13, when they travel to Assumption for a Northeast-10 Conference match at 2 p.m.
1. Rachael Litton/Paulina Sotomayor (BEN) def. Natasha McCarthy/Kaitlin Krolikowski (FPU), 8-4
2. Melanie Scott/Kara Murphy (BEN) def. Melissa Cohen/Nikki Chalifoux (FPU), 8-1
3. Brittany Harbert/Alyssa Hayes (BEN) def. Mariama Bonetti/Leslie Rodgers (FPU), 8-1
1. McCarthy (FPU) def. Sotomayor (BEN), 6-1, 6-3
2. Murphy (BEN) def. Krolikowski (FPU), 6-0, 6-1
3. Litton (BEN) def. Cohen (FPU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Harbert (BEN) def. Chalifoux (FPU), 8-2
5. Katie Van Gilst (BEN) def. Bonetti (FPU), 8-2
6. Rodgers (FPU) def. Stephania Adondakis (BEN), 8-5
For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics).