Women’s Tennis Falls at Le Moyne, 8-1
Rodgers earns singles victory
Rodgers picked up a point for the Ravens with her victory at sixth doubles on Sunday at Le Moyne.
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (April 1, 2012) – Freshman Leslie Rodgers (Westminster, Md.) picked up an 8-3 win at sixth singles on Sunday afternoon, but the Franklin Pierce University women's tennis team was defeated, 8-1, by Le Moyne in Northeast-10 Conference play at Le Moyne.
With the loss, Franklin Pierce falls to 1-7 (1-6 Northeast-10), while Le Moyne improves to 4-8 (4-7 Northeast-10).
In addition to her singles win, Rodgers was also a part of a doubles team that nearly pulled out another point for the Ravens. She teamed with senior Mariama Bonetti (New York, N.Y.) at third doubles and the duo battled, but ultimately fell, 9-7, to Le Moyne sophomore Maggie Reagan and senior Elizabeth Rhode. Franklin Pierce's first doubles team of senior Kaitlin Krolikowski (Massapequa, N.Y.) and sophomore Natasha McCarthy (Rindge, N.H.) held its own as well, as they played senior Caroline Tisdell and junior Rebecca Black to an 8-8 tie before the Le Moyne pair picked up a 9-8 win by winning the tiebreak, 8-6.
For Le Moyne, five different players were victorious in both singles and doubles play on Sunday, led by Tisdell and Black, who added first and second singles victories, respectively, to their doubles win.
The Ravens return to the court on Tuesday, April 3, when they travel to Saint Anselm for a Northeast-10 Conference match at 2:30 p.m. in Manchester, N.H.
1. Caroline Tisdell/Rebecca Black (LEM) def. Kaitlin Krolikowski/Natasha McCarthy (FPU), 9-8 (8-6)
2. Margaret LaFleur/Jessica Geary (LEM) def. Melissa Cohen/Nikki Chalifoux (FPU), 8-4
3. Maggie Reagan/Elizabeth Rhode (LEM) def. Mariama Bonetti/Leslie Rodgers (FPU), 9-7
1. Tisdell (LEM) def. McCarthy (FPU), 6-4, 6-0
2. Black (LEM) def. Krolikowski (FPU), 7-5, 6-3
3. Rhode (LEM) def. Cohen (FPU), 6-0, 7-6 (7-3)
4. LaFleur (LEM) def. Chalifoux (FPU), 8-4 (pro set)
5. Falconer (LEM) def. Bonetti (FPU), 8-4 (pro set)
6. Rodgers (FPU) def. Reagan (LEM), 8-3 (pro set)
For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics).