Men’s Tennis Downed at Bentley, 8-1
Gilhuly, Brewer team for win at first doubles
Gilhuly teamed with Brewer to notch a win at first doubles on Wednesday at Bentley.
WALTHAM, Mass. (April 11, 2012) – Senior Ben Brewer (Brattleboro, Vt.) and sophomore Pat Gilhuly (Killingworth, Conn.) teamed to post a win at first doubles on Wednesday afternoon, but the Franklin Pierce University men's tennis team was defeated by Bentley, 8-1, in Northeast-10 Conference play at Bentley.
With the loss, Franklin Pierce falls to 4-7 (3-7 Northeast-10), while Bentley improves to 13-4 (9-0 Northeast-10).
Franklin Pierce came out of the gates with a point at first doubles, as Brewer and Gilhuly did battle with senior Alec Spycher and freshman Raghav Tanna. Brewer and Gilhuly picked up what would be the only point of the day for the Ravens with an 8-6 win. Gilhuly later took the first set from junior Rodrigo Ribeiro at first singles before ultimately losing, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Four Bentley players picked up wins in both doubles and singles play, led by Ribeiro and sophomore Jimmy Rindo. The duo paired to sweep to an 8-0 win at second doubles, before posting wins in the top two singles flights. Rindo posted a 6-0, 6-2 win at second singles.
The Ravens return to the court on Friday, April 13, when they travel to Assumption for a Northeast-10 Conference match at 2 p.m.
1. Ben Brewer/Patrick Gilhuly (FPU) def. Raghav Tanna/Alec Spycher (BEN), 8-6
2. Jimmy Rindo/Rodrigo Ribeiro (BEN) def. Sam Aubin/Chris Brewer (FPU), 8-0
3. Andrew Waddington/Victor Suski (BEN) def. Keith Bujak/Tyler Colombo (FPU), 8-2
1. Ribeiro (BEN) def. Gilhuly (FPU), 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Rindo (BEN) def. C. Brewer (FPU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Spycher (BEN) def. Andrew Wong (FPU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Waddington (BEN) def. B. Brewer (FPU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Tanna (BEN) def. Aubin (FPU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Suski (BEN) def. Colombo (FPU), 8-3
For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics).