Men’s Tennis Falls to Adelphi, 8-1
Ravens back in action Monday at AIC
Bujak notched a win at sixth singles on Saturday afternoon.
RINDGE, N.H. (April 7, 2012) – Freshman Keith Bujak (Lyndeborough, N.H.) posted a win at sixth singles on Saturday afternoon, but the Franklin Pierce University men's tennis team was defeated, 8-1, by Adelphi in Northeast-10 Conference play at Franklin Pierce.
With the loss, Franklin Pierce falls to 3-6 (2-6 Northeast-10), while Adelphi improves to 6-10 (6-3 Northeast-10).
The lone point of the day for the Ravens came from Bujak at sixth singles. With the team match already decided, he squared off with sophomore Richard Ferguson in the pro set format. The two played to an 8-8 tie, necessitating a tiebreak, where Bujak squeaked out a 9-7 win to post the 9-8 victory in the match.
After Bujak, the strongest showing for Franklin Pierce in singles play came from freshman Chris Brewer (Brattleboro, Vt.), who battled while falling, 6-4, 6-3, to freshman Chiwete Njokanma at second singles. The Ravens also nearly picked up a point at first doubles, via the team of senior Ben Brewer (Brattleboro, Vt.), Chris' older brother, and sophomore Pat Gilhuly (Killingworth, Conn.). The duo hung tight with juniors Andreas Hammar and Adrish Tewarie before ultimately falling, 8-5.
Five Adelphi players picked up wins in both doubles and singles play, led by Hammar. After his conquest with Tewarie at first doubles, he bettered Gilhuly at first singles, 6-1, 6-2.
The Ravens return to the court on Monday, April 9, when they travel to American International for a Northeast-10 Conference contest at 4 p.m.
1. Andreas Hammar/Adrish Tewarie (ADE) def. Ben Brewer/Pat Gilhuly (FPU), 8-5
2. Bryan Kallenberg/Ryan Villarruel (ADE) def. Chris Brewer/Sam Aubin (FPU), 8-4
3. Chiwete Njokanma/Ryan White (ADE) def. Tyler Colombo/Keith Bujak (FPU), 8-4
1. Hammar (ADE) def. Gilhuly (FPU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Njokanma (ADE) def. C. Brewer (FPU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Villarruel (ADE) def. Aubin (FPU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Kallenberg (ADE) def. B. Brewer (FPU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Tewarie (ADE) def. Colombo (FPU), 8-1 (pro set)
6. Bujak (FPU) def. Richard Ferguson (ADE), 9-8 (9-7) (pro set)
For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics).