Early Penalties Hurt Men’s Ice Hockey in 7-0 Loss at Saint Anselm

Early Penalties Hurt Men’s Ice Hockey in 7-0 Loss at Saint Anselm

MANCHESTER, N.H. (December 1, 2017) – The Franklin Pierce University men's ice hockey team committed five penalties in the opening 33 minutes on Friday night at Sullivan Arena. Saint Anselm capitalized with three power-play goals -- and another score which came just after a man-advantage expired -- to prime the pump and fuel a 7-0 win over the Ravens in Northeast-10 Conference play. Sophomore forward Michael Ferraro tallied his first career hat trick in the win for Saint Anselm.

With the loss, Franklin Pierce falls to 2-8-0 (1-3-0 NE10), has lost five in a row and has been shut out in three straight contests. The Ravens have now gone 183:21 without a goal, since last scoring in the third period at Westfield State on Nov. 21.

With the win, Saint Anselm improves to 5-5-0 (2-2-0 NE10). The two teams will conclude their season series later in the year, when they meet at Franklin Pierce for a two-game weekend series on Feb. 9-10.

Though the spate of power-play opportunities would come later, Saint Anselm would score the only goal it needed on Friday night at even strength, just 4:21 into the proceedings. After Franklin Pierce freshman defenseman Sam Sullivan (Pembroke, Mass.) turned the puck over in the neutral zone, freshman forward Alec Andreucci found himself leading what amounted to a 3-on-0 into the offensive end. From the bottom of the left circle, he centered the puck for Ferraro, who had the easy finish at the right post to open the scoring. Senior forward Jonathan Pallotta picked up his first of four points on the night (1-3-4) by adding an assist as well, on Ferraro's team-leading seventh of the season.

The Hawks would add a pair of power-play goals later in the frame to take a 3-0 lead into the first intermission. The first came at 8:33, with junior forward Nicholas Fotiu (Falmouth, Mass.) in the box serving a boarding penalty. Junior forward Bryan Green put a shot through traffic and beat senior goaltender Tom McGuckin (Clayton, N.J.) from the top of the left circle. Junior forward Jérémy Carignan and senior defenseman Nick Gorski had the helpers on the fourth of the campaign for Green.

Later, at 13:14, junior defenseman Jack Williams (Suffield, Conn.) was off for interference when Pallotta snapped home his fourth goal of the year as well, from the middle of the right circle. Andreucci notched the second of his four assists on the night -- on his way to a 1-4-5 outing -- by threading a pass across the high slot from the middle of the left circle to set up the shot. Junior defenseman Kevin Curley tallied an assist on the play as well.

Saint Anselm's first goal of the second period was not a power-play tally, though it may as well have been. It came just eight seconds after the expiration of a man-advantage, and the Ravens were unable to clear the defensive zone between the end of the penalty and the score. Ferraro banged home a rebound from the slot for his second goal of the night, after Pallotta's original shot, from the right circle, was stopped by McGuckin. Andreucci tacked on an assist as well, at 10:31.

Ferraro then capped the hat trick with a power-play marker at the 13-minute mark. From the middle of the blue line, Curley sent the puck into the right circle for Pallotta. The latter threw the puck towards the net from there, and Ferraro got a touch on it at the top of the crease to redirect the disc home and make it a 5-0 game.

The fifth Saint Anselm goal spelled the end of the day for McGuckin (1-6-0), who would take the loss after finishing with 15 saves against 20 shots over 33 minutes of work. Freshman netminder Ian Wallace (West Islip, N.Y.) took over for the final 27 minutes and stopped 13 of the 15 shots he faced.

Saint Anselm tacked on a pair of even-strength tallies in the third period to create the 7-0 final. Leading the way into the offensive zone, freshman defenseman Shawn Moors made his way to the bottom of the left circle while facing little resistance. From there, he slipped a centering feed to the top of the crease for Andreucci, who one-touched home his third goal of the year. The assist marked Moors' first collegiate point, at 12:38.

Finally, at 16:33, sophomore forward Trey Aiello buried a one-time clapper from between the hash marks for his first goal of the season. Freshman forward Frank Ferrara notched his first career point with the centering pass from the left-wing corner, while freshman forward Jonathan Folsom added an assist as well.

Junior goaltender Colin Soucy (1-2-0) finished with 26 saves to notch his first collegiate shutout in the crease for Saint Anselm.

The Ravens return to the ice on Tuesday, Dec. 5, when they return home to host Southern New Hampshire in an NE10 contest. Opening faceoff is set for 7:30 p.m. at the Jason Ritchie Ice Arena in Winchendon, Mass.

For more information on Franklin Pierce Athletics, please visit the official website of Franklin Pierce Athletics (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu). Also be sure to follow the Ravens through the Department of Athletics' official Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FranklinPierceRavens), its YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/franklinpiercesports) and its Twitter feed (http://twitter.com/FPUathletics). Fans wishing to purchase Franklin Pierce ice hockey apparel can do so at the Department of Athletics' online store (http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu/store).